Even if you clean your bathtub frequently, it’s eventually going to start to wear out. Whether you have a porcelain or fiberglass tub, they can suffer dents, dings, scratches and a dull finish. If your tub has seen better days, it’s time to consider bathtub refinishing in Phoenix, AZ. This easy, fast process can restore your tub to like-new condition, allowing you to get several more years out of your old tub.
Here’s how to tell it’s time to refinish your tub:
- Discoloration: When your tub reaches a certain age, you may start to see splotchy discoloration in different areas. It’s common to see off-white stains, brown, yellow and even pink areas on your tub’s finish. They could be due to hard water or mold, and they’re very difficult to get rid of, if not impossible. The best way to get rid of them for good is to have your tub refinished. It gives your tub a brand-new, stain-free surface so you don’t have to fight the splotches.
- Chipping: Chips happen easily, especially if you drop heavy objects in the shower. Tools, kids’ bath toys and heavy toiletry bottles can all damage your tub’s finish. Not only is this unattractive and uncomfortable to stand on, but it also exposes the tub’s underlayers to moisture. That can cause rust and other issues, which damage the structural integrity of your tub. Refinishing replaces that moisture barrier.
- Dullness: Over time, your tub’s protective coating will wear away, thanks to years of use and cleaning. That’s perfectly normal, but it’s also less than aesthetically appealing, and offers less protection than the coating did when it was new. If your tub’s seen better days, refinishing can give it a shiny new coat that will make your whole bathroom seem newer and nicer.
- Impossible to clean: Sometimes your bathtub is just impossible to keep clean, thanks to degraded protective coatings. Instead of simply wiping dirt, grime and soap scum away, you’ll have to work extra hard to get it clean. Since the material is porous, the grime will settle back in right away. The only way to solve this is to either replace your tub or refinish it.
- Unwanted color: Finally, not liking your tub’s color is a perfectly good reason to refinish it. Sometimes homes come with unattractive colored bathtubs, like 1970s yellow and avocado, or the baby pink that was popular in the 1950s. Refinishing is an inexpensive way to get rid of the ugly old color and replace it with something more to your liking.
Refinishing your bathtub can be done in a few hours, and you’ll be able to use it again within a day or two. It’s much easier than paying to demolish and haul away your old tub—and cheaper, too. If you’ve noticed the signs above in your own bathroom, it might be time to refinish your tub.
For expert bathtub refinishing in Phoenix, AZ, get in touch with the team at A-1 Porcelain & Fiberglass Service Co., L.L.C. today.