How To Choose The Best Bath Tub Replacement?
A bathtub is an essential part of any bathroom, providing a relaxing and soothing place to unwind and rejuvenate. However, over time, a bathtub can become outdated, worn out, or damaged, prompting the need for a replacement. The process of choosing the right bathtub replacement can be overwhelming, with so many options available. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the crucial factors to consider when selecting the best bathtub replacement for your bathroom.
Size and Shape
The size and shape of the bathtub replacement can significantly impact the overall look and functionality of your bathroom. When selecting a bathtub, consider the space available, the number of people who will be using it, and your personal preferences.
If you have limited space, a smaller-sized bathtub, such as a corner tub or a standard alcove tub, can be an excellent option. For larger bathrooms, a freestanding or oval soaking tub can create a luxurious spa-like feel. It is essential to ensure that the bathtub replacement fits well in your bathroom, leaving ample space for other necessary fixtures and countertops.
The bathtub’s material can impact the tub’s durability, performance, and maintenance requirements. Bathtub replacements come in various materials, including acrylic, fiberglass, porcelain, cast iron, and steel.
Acrylic and fiberglass are popular choices because of their lightweight, easy maintenance, and affordability. Porcelain, cast iron, and steel tubs are more durable and have a classic look that can last for decades. However, they can be heavy and require more maintenance to prevent rust and stains.
Style and Design
The style and design of the bathtub can have a significant impact on the overall aesthetics of your bathroom. Bathtubs come in various styles, including traditional, modern, and contemporary. The design can range from simple and sleek to ornate and decorative, depending on your personal preferences.
When selecting a bathtub replacement, consider the style and design of your bathroom. You want a bathtub that complements your existing décor and adds to the overall ambiance. A classic, clawfoot tub can add vintage charm, while a modern, minimalist bathtub can create a sleek and sophisticated look.
The functionality of the bathtub replacement can significantly impact its overall performance and usefulness. Consider the features of the bathtub, such as the type of filling and draining system, the number of jets and their position, and the type of surface coating.
A bathtub with a fast-filling and draining system can save time and water, while a bathtub with adjustable jets can provide a customized and therapeutic massage experience. The surface coating or finish can also affect the bathtub’s durability and resistance to scratches, stains, and chemicals.
The installation process of the bathtub replacement can affect the overall cost, time, and effort required. Some bathtubs require professional installation and plumbing work, while others can be easily installed with basic DIY skills and tools.
Freestanding tubs and walk-in tubs can be more complicated to install and require professional assistance. Alcove tubs and drop-in tubs, on the other hand, can be simpler and easier to install, requiring only basic plumbing work.
The cost of a bathtub replacement can vary significantly depending on the material, size, design, and installation requirements. Acrylic and fiberglass tubs are generally less expensive than porcelain, cast iron, or steel tubs. Freestanding and custom-made tubs tend to be more expensive than standard alcove or drop-in tubs.
When selecting a bathtub replacement, consider your budget and prioritize the features that are most important to you. Remember that investing in a bathtub replacement is a long-term investment that can add value to your home and enhance your daily life’s quality.
Choosing the best bathtub replacement requires careful consideration of various factors, including size and shape, material, style and design, functionality, installation, and cost. When selecting a bathtub replacement, keep in mind the space available, the number of people who will be using it, and its maintenance requirements. Invest in a bathtub that adds value and functionality to your bathroom, creating a relaxing and rejuvenating environment for you and your family to enjoy.
Homeowners have more options than ever when it comes to bathtubs, but if you’re looking for a basic, practical and affordable option, you can’t do better than a fiberglass bathtub in Phoenix, AZ. Read on to learn more about the pros and cons of fiberglass bathtubs to ensure you fully understand what to expect from this type of tub:
- Easy to install: Fiberglass tubs are significantly lighter weight than other materials, which makes them much easier to install. They usually do not require additional floor support, making them a good choice for second- or third-floor bathrooms. Porcelain, stone and cast iron tubs are much heavier and may require special construction to ensure stability.
- Affordably priced: Fiberglass is usually the most affordable bathtub option there is, even more so than acrylic. If you’re doing a quick renovation or just need an easy and inexpensive choice, you’re sure to find a fiberglass option in your budget. Other tub materials might last longer, but if that’s not your main concern, you’ll find plenty to love with fiberglass.
- Can be refinished: Even though fiberglass doesn’t last quite as long as porcelain, stone, cast iron and other tub materials, it can still easily last a decade or more—and if it starts looking dingy, you can refinish the tub. This gives your tub a brand-new appearance for at least two to three more years. Whether you plan to sell or upgrade later, refinishing your tub is a low-cost way to keep your bathroom looking fresh for a longer time.
- Not as durable as other tub materials: As the previous sections discussed, fiberglass simply doesn’t last as long as other tub materials, but many homeowners find this to be a decent trade-off for its low cost, easy installation and easy refinishing process. If you’re planning on installing a tub that will last forever, fiberglass isn’t the best choice—but if you just need something that looks nice, functions properly and can be easily repaired, it’s great.
- Can have an inconsistent surface: When you’re looking for a fiberglass tub, keep in mind that the surface can be inconsistently finished. Fiberglass tubs are made by forming several layers of material and pressing them together, then spraying the tub with a resin finish. This can lead to inconsistencies in the coating, which doesn’t look as nice as other options. The best way to avoid this is to make sure you see the tub you’re getting before it’s installed. Of course, if the finish starts degrading after installation, refinishing is a simple and affordable process.
Fiberglass tubs are a great option for homeowners on a budget, especially if you’re making over a guest bathroom that won’t get used as often. They’re a popular choice across the nation thanks to their low cost and quick installation process.
If you have a fiberglass tub in Phoenix, AZ that has seen better days, let the crew at A-1 Porcelain & Fiberglass Service Co., L.L.C. take care of it. Call today to learn about your refinishing options.
Giant showers might be all the rage these days, but do you still need to have a bathtub to successfully sell your home at a profit? Like any home fixture, they are subject to the trends of the day. (Remember the whirlpool tubs of the 1980s?) It might not make or break your house sale, but knowing what buyers are looking for always helps. Some buyers don’t mind getting what they consider “fixer uppers,” but some will balk at needing to add new fixtures after the sale.
Real estate agents and home appraisers are torn on whether you need at least one bathtub in your home. Regardless of what you decide, when you need home or bathtub upgrades in Phoenix, AZ, be sure to call A-1 Porcelain & Fiberglass Service Co., L.L.C. to handle the job. We can help you repair or refinish your home fixtures so your house will be ready to sell.
Pros of having a bathtub
- The more amenities, the better: When you’re selling a home, the home with the most amenities wins, and that includes tubs. When you give a buyer more options, there’s less of a chance that one fixture will make or break a sale.
- Appeal to families: Naturally, families with small children will want a bathtub—it just makes it easier to bathe children without making a mess. If you’re living in a neighborhood that has plenty of family appeal, having a bathtub is going to make your home far more attractive to prospective buyers with young families.
- Appeal to luxury homeowners: Of course, if you have a home with multiple or large bathrooms, you’ll also appeal to luxury homeowners. Many people consider bathtubs a great source of relaxation and self-care, so bathtubs will be expected in these types of homes.
Cons of having a bathtub
- Your bathroom is too small: Sometimes your bathroom is just too small for a tub, and you have to make a choice. We see this often in condos and small apartments—there’s no sense in having a tub if it makes the bathroom impractical to use. That will turn a buyer off, too.
- You might rarely use it: Family-oriented neighborhoods practically require bathtubs, but what about living in apartments or condos downtown? These neighborhoods usually cater to adults, so your home sale may not depend on whether your place has a tub.
Whatever you decide, it’s most important that your shower or tub is beautiful and inviting. If your fixtures look dull and dingy, consider having them refinished or repaired.
Get help with home upgrades in Phoenix, AZ
For over 40 years, A-1 Porcelain & Fiberglass Service Co., L.L.C. has offered a wide variety of repair and refinishing services. We work on all the fixtures in your bathroom, from tubs and showers to sinks and tile. You’ll get our quality work and excellent customer service no matter the size of the job. Call us today to schedule your bathtub upgrade or learn more about any of our other services.
The two materials most commonly used for walk-in bathtubs for senior citizens are acrylic and fiberglass. Both of these materials provide plenty of strength and can be customized to give some aesthetic appeal as well.
For seniors, there are plenty of good options in both of these types of materials to bring into your home, but our team specializes in providing fiberglass tubs in Glendale, AZ, for a variety of reasons. Here are just a few of them:
- Affordability: Perhaps one of the biggest benefits associated with fiberglass tubs is their affordability, especially when compared to options such as copper, cast iron, brass and various stones. Even acrylic bathtubs, which tend to have lower price tags, will still generally cost more than fiberglass. This is especially ideal for senior citizens, who tend to be living on fixed incomes and aren’t as likely to splurge on luxury amenities for their bathrooms.
- Easy to install: Fiberglass tubs are very lightweight, which allows for some pretty easy installation. Whenever you have to deal with heavier bathtub materials, such as metals or stones, it can be difficult to maneuver the tub into the place you need it to sit in the bathroom. Fiberglass is lightweight and can be carried to where it needs to be installed, and there’s no need for installing additional supports in the floor, no matter where in the house the tub is located.
- Reparable finishes: While fiberglass does have a surface that is more easily scratched than some other types of tub materials, it is also easier to repair. You won’t have to worry about replacing your tub if it sustains damage. Just sand down the surface, use a filler and some epoxy-based coating and you’ll create a smooth surface so it looks brand new. You can also purchase a fiberglass repair kit that contains everything you need to clean and repair the surface.
- Style range: You’ll be surprised at just how wide a range of styles there is with fiberglass bathtubs. You can find them in all different styles, sizes, forms and aesthetics. This is one of the main reasons why they’re so often marketed toward seniors—there are many different styles available that cater specifically to seniors who might have issues with mobility, who need extra slip protection or who have any other special needs that might not be as easy to find with other types of tub materials.
These are just a few of the biggest reasons why fiberglass tubs are our specialty and why we so often recommend them for senior citizens. If you’re interested in learning more about how to choose from our large selection of fiberglass tubs in Glendale, AZ and the types of features in these tubs that are most conducive to the lifestyles and needs of senior citizens, we encourage you to contact the team at A-1 Porcelain & Fiberglass Service Co., LLC today. One of our sales professionals will be happy to answer any questions you have. We look forward to assisting you soon!
The bathtub is one of the most important features of your bathroom, so it’s important that you do what you can to keep it in good condition for years to come. Regular use of the bathtub will, over time, result in some wear and tear and discoloration, and if you fail to keep it properly clean, you could start to see some mildew growth as well.
The good news is that, if your bathtub gets to the point where its appearance has been significantly affected, you can refinish or reglaze the bathtub to restore its appearance. These processes typically involve stripping off the original finish, and then applying a new finish. You can do this to either bring the tub back to its original color or appearance, or to change its appearance entirely.
Of course, if you’ve refinished your bathtub, it becomes even more important to keep up with your cleaning and general maintenance to make sure all your hard work doesn’t go to waste. With this in mind, here are some tips for refinished bathtub maintenance in Phoenix, AZ that you should be sure to keep in mind as a homeowner:
- Keep it clean: As we mentioned previously, keeping your bathtub clean will help you to slow discoloration and avoid issues with mildew and mold. In the curing phase that occurs after you’ve refinished your tub, you should make sure to clean the tub regularly with a sponge and soap to prevent dust from settling into the finish while it’s drying.
- Waxing: After you’ve reglazed your bathtub, one of the best things you can do to keep up its appearance is make sure you’ve regularly waxed the surface. You should do this first within two weeks after the new finish has been applied, being sure to clean the surface beforehand. You can use standard auto wax, and apply it with a damp cloth. After that first waxing, you can continue to wax once every one to three months as needed to keep it looking pristine.
- Ventilation: You should always be sure to keep your bathroom well ventilated. If your bathroom does not have an air vent and fan in the ceiling, you should strongly consider installing one. This will help to prevent moisture from just sitting on surfaces in your bathroom and will cut down on humidity levels, both of which will help prevent the formation of mildew and mold.
- Keep surfaces dry: Again, if you want to prevent mildew from forming, you should make sure to keep all the surfaces in your bathroom dry. After you use a bathtub, use a dry towel to wipe out the inside of the tub. Do not leave wet washcloths or sponges lying around.
- Quick repairs: If any chips or cracks form in the surface of the tub, repair them immediately. Otherwise water will be able to get into the cracks, which could result in a breeding ground for mold.
For more information about refinished bathtub maintenance in Phoenix, AZ, contact the team at A-1 Porcelain & Fiberglass Service Co., LLC today.