Porcelain tubs can be difficult to keep clean. Without proper upkeep, the somewhat fragile surface can look dingy, scratched and dirty. Typically, porcelain tubs are made from cast iron and then coated in porcelain. Although they’re designed to last for decades, the coating is sure to eventually show some signs of wear. Furthermore, using certain cleaning products can exacerbate the damage and take years off its finish.
With this in mind, here’s a guide to the best ways to clean a porcelain tub in Phoenix, AZ:
- Don’t use abrasives: When you’re cleaning enamel, you need to take care not to chip, crack or abrade your porcelain’s surface. Avoid steel wool, scouring pads, scouring powder and vinegar. All of these can break down the gloss that makes your porcelain tub so beautiful.
- Use gentle cleaners only: Warm water, ammonia and baking soda should be all you need, unless your porcelain tub came with deep stains already on the surface.
- Scrub with warm water: Fill a large bucket with warm or hot water, and add a quarter cup each of ammonia and baking soda. Using a soft cloth or non-abrasive sponge, soak the cloth in the mixture and apply it to the tub. Keep dipping and scrubbing as necessary, making sure to focus on any stains. When you’re all done, rinse the tub with clean water and use a clean rag to further rinse and polish the surface.
- Treat tough stains naturally: When you have tough stains that ammonia and baking soda can’t eradicate on their own, use the juice of a lemon and some salt. Cover the stain with salt and then squeeze the juice of a lemon on top, then let it sit for at least a half an hour. Another great solution is to use a paste of two parts baking soda and one part hydrogen peroxide. If this doesn’t work, try the lemon juice and salt method, but leave it on for an hour this time.
- Try weekly upkeep: The best way to keep stains from setting in is to keep up with your cleaning—it’s boring, but true! Use about a gallon of hot water mixed with dishwashing soap and scrub down the entire tub, then rinse with clean water. You should have a shiny and clean porcelain bathtub again in no time at all!
- Refinish your tub: If you have stubborn stains that just won’t quit, it might be time to call in professional help to re-glaze your tub—and if you need help, call us!
A-1 Porcelain & Fiberglass Service Co., L.L.C. can help you with porcelain tub cleaning in Phoenix, AZ. For over 40 years, we’ve provided the Phoenix area with great service at affordable prices. If your bathroom fixtures are looking dirty, dingy or just run down, give us a call. Our team of skilled professionals specializes in refinishing and repairing porcelain sinks, bathtubs and showers. Reach out to us today to find out how we can make your bathroom look brand-new again!