Homeowners have more options than ever when it comes to bathtubs, but if you’re looking for a basic, practical and affordable option, you can’t do better than a fiberglass bathtub in Phoenix, AZ. Read on to learn more about the pros and cons of fiberglass bathtubs to ensure you fully understand what to expect from this type of tub:
- Easy to install: Fiberglass tubs are significantly lighter weight than other materials, which makes them much easier to install. They usually do not require additional floor support, making them a good choice for second- or third-floor bathrooms. Porcelain, stone and cast iron tubs are much heavier and may require special construction to ensure stability.
- Affordably priced: Fiberglass is usually the most affordable bathtub option there is, even more so than acrylic. If you’re doing a quick renovation or just need an easy and inexpensive choice, you’re sure to find a fiberglass option in your budget. Other tub materials might last longer, but if that’s not your main concern, you’ll find plenty to love with fiberglass.
- Can be refinished: Even though fiberglass doesn’t last quite as long as porcelain, stone, cast iron and other tub materials, it can still easily last a decade or more—and if it starts looking dingy, you can refinish the tub. This gives your tub a brand-new appearance for at least two to three more years. Whether you plan to sell or upgrade later, refinishing your tub is a low-cost way to keep your bathroom looking fresh for a longer time.
- Not as durable as other tub materials: As the previous sections discussed, fiberglass simply doesn’t last as long as other tub materials, but many homeowners find this to be a decent trade-off for its low cost, easy installation and easy refinishing process. If you’re planning on installing a tub that will last forever, fiberglass isn’t the best choice—but if you just need something that looks nice, functions properly and can be easily repaired, it’s great.
- Can have an inconsistent surface: When you’re looking for a fiberglass tub, keep in mind that the surface can be inconsistently finished. Fiberglass tubs are made by forming several layers of material and pressing them together, then spraying the tub with a resin finish. This can lead to inconsistencies in the coating, which doesn’t look as nice as other options. The best way to avoid this is to make sure you see the tub you’re getting before it’s installed. Of course, if the finish starts degrading after installation, refinishing is a simple and affordable process.
Fiberglass tubs are a great option for homeowners on a budget, especially if you’re making over a guest bathroom that won’t get used as often. They’re a popular choice across the nation thanks to their low cost and quick installation process.
If you have a fiberglass tub in Phoenix, AZ that has seen better days, let the crew at A-1 Porcelain & Fiberglass Service Co., L.L.C. take care of it. Call today to learn about your refinishing options.