Who doesn’t love a relaxing soak in the tub at the end of a busy day? If your tub isn’t in pristine condition, it can seriously put a damper on your daily “me time.” If you’re handy, you might be able to give your tub a quick facelift to bring it up to an acceptable condition. If you rely on the experience and knowledge of a professional bathtub reglazing and remodeling professional in Glendale, AZ, however, you’ll be able to get your tub in perfect shape. Here are some helpful bathtub refinishing tips if you feel like tackling the job yourself:
- Collect the right supplies: You’ll need the right supplies to properly refinish your bathtub. Some essentials include a paint sprayer and a bathtub reglazing A paint tray and brush, masking tape, safety glasses and a respirator are some of the other paint-related products you’ll need for the job. Some non-abrasive cleaning powder, paper towels and gloves help you keep yourself and the rest of the bathroom clean.
- Clean the tub: Begin the refinishing process by getting your tub completely clean. Remove the drain and its cover as well as the caulking around the edges of the tub. Use your cleaning powder to completely remove any dirt, mildew and soap scum that’s lingering on your tub and tub surround. Give the tub a thorough rinse once you’re done scrubbing.
- Start sanding: Follow the directions on your bathtub reglazing kit and remove the current finish from the bathtub using sandpaper if necessary. Pick up any debris by vacuuming the tub and then wiping it with a clean cloth. Give the tub another rinse and allow it to dry.
- Remove traces of soap: You can remove traces of soap and other cleaners by applying a solvent or primer reducer. This step gives your primer some extra grip and improves your overall finished product.
- Protect unpainted areas: Grab your masking tape and cover any nearby surfaces that aren’t going to be painted. Use plastic wrap to cover fixtures like your faucet and knobs to keep them protected.
- Apply primer: Before you mix your primer, be sure to secure your safety mask and goggles. Mix the primer and use a brush, roller or sprayer to apply the primer to the tub. If you have a window in the room, open it for ventilation.
- Let the primer dry: Make sure the room is well ventilated and allow the primer to dry.
- Apply the top coat: Use a roller or sprayer to lay the top coat. It’s best to work from the bottom up. Make sure the paint is even as you spread it.
- Clean up: After painting, take off the masking tape. Remove the plastic wrap only when you’re sure the paint’s completely dry.
As you’ve likely surmised from reading these steps, bathtub refinishing is a difficult task! Many homeowners find that, once they realize how much labor is involved, they’d prefer to hire an expert to tackle this project for them. Luckily, the bathtub refinishing professionals in Glendale, AZ at A-1 Porcelain & Fiberglass Service Co., L.L.C. can be relied on to get your tub in perfect condition. Contact us for your next refinishing or reglazing project!