Your bathtub is a vital part of your home and well-being. This is because it helps you stay clean and improves your mood after you take a relaxing bath. This is why you need to check your bathtub’s condition frequently. A leaking bathtub can cause severe water damage to your home’s structure over time. If your bathtub is leaking, the problem can be with its faucet, grout or drain. Instead of replacing the entire leaking bathtub, which is expensive, you can do fiberglass repair on it yourself. Here’s how to fix a leaking bathtub yourself.
1. Locate the Leaks
The first step to repairing a leaking tub is to find the leak. The leaks from the faucet and grout can be easy to spot, while those on the drain are more challenging to find. However, you can know if there is a leak in your bath’s drain through elimination. If you don’t see any leaks in the faucet and grout, it means that the leak is in the drain. To locate the leaks:
- Wipe the faucet and the outside of the grout dry with a cloth.
- Wrap the faucet and the outside of the grout with dry newspaper.
- Let the faucet fill the tub with water and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Check the wrapping newspaper for any damp spots to find the leaks.
2. Fixing the Leaks
If the faucet leaks, you will need a screwdriver, pipe wrench, gaskets and stem washers to fix it. You will start by removing the faucet handle and using the pipe wrench to remove the packing nut. Go on and replace the old washers and gaskets with new ones and put the faucet back together.
If your tub’s body or grout is leaking, clean the leakage area and dry it thoroughly. Apply a sealant to the leaking spot and let it dry for at least three hours. If the leak in your bathtub’s drain, you will need a drain removal tool, screwdriver, putty knife, plumber’s putty and a rag or paper towel. As the bathtub is an important part of your home, make sure you use quality products for the repairs.
Pros and Cons of Repairing Your Bathtub Yourself
The pros are:
- It can be more affordable than having to call a professional.
- It can be a fun family-bonding activity you can do with your child.
The cons are:
- Poor workmanship; thus, the repair work won’t look as appealing compared to if it were done by a professional.
- The refinishing work won’t last as long as if it were handled by a professional.
- You risk causing more problems to your bathtub than it had before.
Are you looking for bathroom refinishing help?
Welcome to A-1 Porcelain & Fiberglass Service Co., located in Glendale, Arizona, for your bathroom refinishing needs. We are top-notch bathtub and shower specialists that started operations in 1975. We repair cracked fiberglass tubs and refinish tubs, sinks and showers. A-1 Porcelain & Fiberglass Service Co. operates all weekdays. Call us today for unmatched bathroom refinishing assistance.