During the winter, most homeowners become preoccupied with mitigating the effects of the cold weather by updating insulation, tuning up heating systems and making sure that a supply of warm blankets is readily available. Unfortunately, with all of the attention paid to cold winter weather, homeowners sometimes forget that the winter also brings humidity and moisture with it. Leaks, erosion and water damage can cause a headache if you aren’t prepared to deal with winter precipitation. These issues are even more common in the bathroom, where you have sinks, water fixtures and pipes. Because of this, it’s important that you take some extra steps to prepare your bathroom for winter so that it stays free of water damage throughout the season:
- Keep up on cleaning: During the winter, you should make sure to keep up on your regular bathroom cleaning schedule—and then some. The biggest concern during the winter is the increased chance of mold and mildew growth in your bathroom. This mold and mildew is caused by the buildup of excessive moisture, so it’s important that you keep your surfaces clean and dry during the winter.
- Repair leaks: Slow leaks can wreak havoc on your entire bathroom. Oftentimes, leaks can go unnoticed until they cause widespread mold and mildew growth. Make sure to check your pipes and fixtures to ensure they are not leaking. Not only do these leaks cause damage to your home’s structure and building materials, they can also be incredibly wasteful and drive up your monthly water bill.
- Maintain grout: Winter is often a good time to re-grout your tile. Grout can retain moisture, leading to rot and mildew. When this happens, it damages your grout and creates an eyesore in your bathroom.
- Promote air circulation: Mold and mildew thrive in rooms without proper ventilation. If you don’t currently have a ceiling fan or ventilation system in your bathroom, it might be worthwhile to make the investment.
- Refinish your bathtub: If your bathroom is weak, worn down or beginning to develop cracks, it’s probably time to look into bathtub refinishing in Phoenix, AZ. Refinishing your bathtub can prevent structural issues and water damage in your home. As an added bonus, refinishing your bathtub can completely transform the overall aesthetic of your space. During the winter, there’s nothing quite like a warm bath and shower—why not refinish your bathtub so the experience is that much better?
If you’re interested in investing in bathtub refinishing in Phoenix, AZ this winter, you can get the help that you need from A-1 Porcelain & Fiberglass Service L.L.C. For decades, we have been delivering professional bathtub and shower refinishing and repair services to our customers in the Phoenix area. No matter your vision for your bathroom is, we would be more than happy to help you turn your dreams into reality. Find out more about our services by giving us a call today to speak with our team. We look forward to scheduling an appointment with you!