Whether you enjoy an invigorating shower every morning or a relaxing bubble bath in the evening, you likely use your shower or tub on a daily basis. All of this heavy use might leave you with issues like cracks, mold growth, missing tile and damaged drain caps. When your drain caps are damaged or missing entirely, it makes it much easier to lose things down your drain while you’re bathing. The moment when you realize that you are missing a piece of jewelry after stepping out of the bath or shower can be a dreadful one. Rings can be expensive, and they often hold significant sentimental value that makes them nearly impossible to replace. Because of this, it is important to take the right steps to retrieve your jewelry from your drain:
- Turn off your water: The very first thing that you should do when you lose a ring or another piece of jewelry down your drain is turn off your shower or bath. The flow of water can push your jewelry further down the drain and make it more difficult to retrieve.
- Remove the drain cap: You should then unscrew the drain strainer carefully and set it aside. You can use a flashlight to shine down your drain and identify the diamond or other gemstone in your ring. This will allow you to see precisely where your ring is located and allow you to get it out more easily.
- Use a vacuum: If you have access to a combination wet/dry vacuum, it can be a very useful tool when it comes to getting jewelry out of a drain. Simply vacuum near the top of the drain and you should be able to get your ring out. Make sure to empty out your vacuum canister beforehand so that you don’t have to filter through dust and debris to find your ring once it’s been vacuumed up.
- Try a hanger: If using a wet vacuum doesn’t work, or you don’t have one handy, you can fashion a wire coat hanger into a hook shape and use it to fish your ring out of the drain.
- Call a plumber: If nothing seems to be working, it doesn’t mean there isn’t any hope for retrieving your ring. A plumber should be able to help you fish your jewelry out of the drain.
Losing a ring in a drain is a common mishap that can happen to anyone, but it might be more common if you have broken drain fixtures or a tub that could use refinishing. At A-1 Porcelain & Fiberglass Service L.L.C., we are proud to offer a superior selection of services, including bathtub refinishing in Phoenix, AZ. Our customers have chosen to work with our professional team since 1975 and we continue to treat each one of our clients with kindness and professionalism. We are skilled to handle a variety of projects and we would be more than happy to help you no matter what your specific needs may be. Our team of experts is just a phone call away, so get in touch today.